Monday, November 25, 2019

My Thoughts on the 2020 Grammy Nominations

By: Cole Negen

The annual Grammy nominations came out Wednesday morning. As I write this there hasn’t been much in terms of public reaction yet, but I wanted to express my opinion on some of the topics. Now before I start, it’s important to point out that the Grammy’s are favored towards records that sell a lot. They are very pop-centric, so it isn’t really a measure of how good a song or album is, it’s pretty much just a selection of “what’s gonna get the least amount of backlash. So all of these nominations either get a lot of radio play, or are otherwise widely enjoyed across genre listening groups. So with that in mind, let’s take a look at some of these categories.

Record of the year
Hey Ma - Bon Iver
Bad Guy - Billie Eilish
7 Rings - Ariana Grande
Hard Place - H.E.R
Talk - Khalid
Old Town Road - Lil Nas X feat. Billy Ray Cyrus
Truth Hurts - Lizzo
Sunflower - Swae Lee & Post Malone

This is the general field, or all together. It’s important to note the difference between record of the year and Song of the Year. The record of the year goes to the entire staff that worked on the project, while song just goes to the songwriters. This category is definitely in favor of pop artists and albums. Not all of them are distinctly “pop”, but they all have a lot of pop qualities. My pick out of the group would definitely have to be Old Town Road. Yes, it’s heavily over-played, but I still can’t deny that it is a catchy, fun song, and a unique one at that. It is for sure the best song in the bunch. I think that it will probably end up going to Old Town Road as well, just because of how that song just completely ruled this entire year. I could see it going to Billie, I could see it going to Lizzo, but I just doubt it will. I don’t see how the Academy can deny Lil Nas X.

Album of the Year
I, I - Bon Iver
Norman ******* Rockwell - Lana Del Rey
When We All Fall Asleep, Where do We Go? - Billie Eilish
Thank U, Next - Ariana Grande
I Used to Know Her - H.E.R
7 - Lil Nas X
Cuz I Love You - Lizzo
Father of the Bride - Vampire Weekend

In my complete and honest opinion, these nominations suck. It seems as though Bon Iver made it because he is Bon Iver. Lana Del Rey’s album is probably the best of the bunch, however it isn’t really my cup of tea, and more than likely it probably won’t win. Billie Eilish’s album is most likely to win, but I just see that album as too scant, and too dumbed down. When she isn’t being over-dramatic she is boring me to death, and even though I’m not a Billie Eilish fan, I know of people who follow her that were disappointed with this release. Thank U, Next… it’s just not for me. Lil Nas X’s album was way too spotty to even deserve a nomination. I liked the EP, and I think Lil Nas X showed a ton of potential, but overall he was just too inexperienced and naive to make a cohesive project. Nothing against him, that’s just the way it turned out. The rest I haven’t really listened too or don’t know much about, but overall there is some album’s that I feel like way deserved the nomination. Specifically, Igor by Tyler, the Creator.

Best New Artist
Black Pumas
Billie Eislish
Lil Nas X
Lizzo
Maggie Rogers
Rosalia
Tank and the Bangas
Yola

Don’t have much to say on this, despite just how clueless this award is. Every year they nominate artist for this award that have been in the music industry for years. The only reason they are considered “new” is because they just finally had a record make it onto the charts. Like Lizzo has already been a figure in hip hop for a little while now. Billie already had an EP drop, which you could argue she made her “big studio album debut” here, but then why is Lil Nas X on the list? It’s just weird, probably gonna go to Billie.

Best Rap Performance
Middle Child - J Cole
Suge - DaBaby
Down Bad - Dreamville
Racks in the Middle - Nipsey Hussle feat. Roddy Rich & Hit Boy
Clout - Offset feat. Cardi B

This is best rap performance. So it doesn’t go to the best song, but rather who performed the best on each track. Personally, I would give it to Dreamville, just because of how crazy everyone goes on that song. I think it is very easily the most eccentric and best performance of the bunch. If I had to guess, I would probably say this will go to J Cole, or the committee, could decide to give it to Nipsey as a sort of memoir.

Best Rap Song
Bad Idea - YBN Cordae feat. Chance the Rapper
Gold Roses - Rick Ross feat. Drake
A Lot - 21 Savage feat. J Cole
Racks in the Middle - Nipsey Hussle feat. Roddy Rich & Hit Boy
Suge - DaBaby

I’m so glad Cordae got a nomination here. I love that song and I love that album. But personally I would have to give it to 21 Savage. The song is just so sticky and well performed and well written and it just stands out. I would guess that would probably win the award as well. Also a shoutout to DaBaby, I really liked that song and I could see him walking away with the award.

Best Rap Album
Revenge of the Dreamers III - Dreamville
Championships - Meek Mill
I am > I was - 21 Savage
Igor - Tyler, the Creator
The Lost Boy - YBN Cordae

Once again, I love seeing Cordae on here. Revenge was an alright album, nothing much to say about it. Meek Mill’s album was ok, probably wouldn’t have gotten a nomination from me but I know there are people who like the album. I am > I was was very well liked, despite it not being one of my personal favorites. Look, there is absolutely no way you can’t give it to Igor. The uniqueness, the strangeness of it, but yet it’s so catchy. It’s so boundary pushing, it’s one of the best albums of the decade and I don’t see how you couldn’t choose Tyler here.

No comments:

Post a Comment